Our Work - BAM Civil - Marine
Cill Ronain Harbour Redevelopment
- Galway County Council
- Inis Mor, Aran Islands, County Galway
- Michael Punch
- June 2010
Cill Ronain is the main town on the island of Inis Mor which is the largest of the Aran Islands. The islands are located less than 10 miles of the west coast of Galway.
Inis Mor is approximately 9 miles long by 2 miles wide, cover roughly 31km2 and has a population in the region of 900. The main port on the island is located in Cill Ronain and this houses a ferry quay, an old quay, a slipway and the only lifeboat station on the islands.
The proposed Cill Ronain Harbour Development project involves the construction of the following:
- Construction of 550 lin metres of rubble mound sea wall, navigation lights.
- Dredging 43,000 cub.m of soft sediment to facilitate the tide
- Dredging 61,000 cub.m of rock to facilitate access to all tides
- Construction of 45 lin.m cargo quay on breakwater, including provision for land based crane
- Construction of 80 lin.m slipway on breakwater for cargo use
- Construction of 65 lin.m of deepwater fishing quay on east side of existing pier
- Construction of 57lin.m of new ferry quay on east side of existing pier
- Refacing of 127 lin.m of existing ferry quay on west and south sides of existing pier
- Reclamation of approx 13,500sq.m for parking, traffic marshalling, and future terminal building
- Construction of floating pontoon for use by RNLI Services within the harbour