Our Work - BAM Building - Restoration
Carlow County Museum Refurbishment
- Carlow Town Council
- College Street, Carlow
- Structural Engineer: Bowe Consulting Engineers, Services Engineer: Doyle Environmental Quantity Surveyor: McCullagh Lupton Quinn
- €1 million
- November 2010
Restoration and extension of the former Presentation Convent (built circa 1820 to 1830) on College Street in Carlow Town. The building is in a prime town centre location and is part of a complex that already houses the County Library, Archives and the Tourist Office. Works involved the refurbishment of 600m² and 300m² extension.
The refurbishment areas include a former classroom space at ground floor level and the former convent chapel occupies the first floor space. Both of these spaces were renovated for use as display galleries. Works comprised of lime re pointing and rendering to the Kilkenny limestone, sensitive refurbishment to the existing sash window, upgrade works to the stain-glass windows and a complete overhaul of the existing services which included the upgrade of;
- Electrical, lighting and power points
- Fire detection system
- P/A system
- Access control
- New heating control system
- HVAC mechanical system
The new extension to the end and rear of the building will provide ancillary facilities of offices and toilets and will also include a 4m deep tanked RC basement and strong room.
All works were combined through the use of high specification finishes, Oak timber flooring, hardwood joinery, lime plasterwork throughout and gold guild in the existing vaulted ceiling.