Our Work - BAM Building - Restoration
Killarney House Refurbishment Phase 1 & 2
- Office of Public Works
- Ross Road, Killarney, Co. Kerry
- OPW, KCK, JJ Caseys
- €1.3 Million
- February 2013
Internal works to building: Removal of selected timber and concrete ground floor slabs with the provision of new insulated concrete floor slabs at ground floor level including the removal of and blanking off of redundant M&E services at Ground floor level.
External works to building:
- Reopening of selected blocked up window opes and the blocking up of other 20th century window opes.
- Rebuilding section of walls after demolition works previously carried out.
- Provision of new limestone cills.
- Removal of two 20th century chimney stacks and the demolition and rebuild of others.
- Provision of new natural lime render to all chimneys.
- Replacement of defective sheet lead work including flashings, ridges, hips and valley gutters on all pitched slopes of roof.
- Removal of asbestos slates from 2 outer slopes of roof and reslating of these areas of roof with natural slate.
- Removal of slate from other 2 outer slopes with the treatment and repairs carried out to all timbers.
- Replacement of defective timber soffits and bargeboards on 5 exposed gables.
- Reconstruction of 2 bay windows to current standards.
- Provision of new flat sheet lead roof over both bay windows.
- Replacement of defective rainwater goods with cast iron gutters and rainwater downpipes.
- Removal of existing 20th century sand cement render from outward facades and various remedial works to walls.
- Repairs to and replacement of selected sash windows and replacement of defective 20th century steel windows on the outward facades.
- Removal of existing drains and provision of new foul and surface water drainage systems around the perimeter of the building and within the courtyard.
- Relocation of ESB mains supply into underground duct. Provision of section of duct for proposed new heating system.
- Lowering of ground level at 3 sides of the building and provision of perimeter pathway around 4 sides of the building.
Internal works to building:
- Removal of selected concrete ground floor slabs & the provision of new insulated concrete floor slabs in selected areas at ground floor level.
- Removal & replacement of selected sections of suspended timber floors at first floor level.
- Modification of selected internal door opes incl. provision of new lintels & beams.
- Removal of 20th century partitions, joinery and ceilings at ground & first floor levels.
- Removal of miscellaneous debris from attic spaces and the treatment of all roof timbers.
External works to building:
- Reopening of selected blocked up historic Archway openings and blocking up of selected 20th century window opes within courtyard area.
- Provision of new limestone cills where missing to windows within courtyard area.
- Removal of natural slates from internal slopes of roof within courtyard, repairs to wallplate and defective timber in roof and reslating to modern standards using the original salvaged natural slate.
- Reinstatement of defective timber soffit and bargeboard to internal gables.
- Provision of new flat sheet lead roof with rolls over 20th century link corridor.
- Removal of any random areas of existing 20th century sand:cement render from facades within courtyard, extensive brick and stone repairs and the restoration of pointing to facade.
- Provision of new natural lime render on all external facades including bay windows.
- Provision of plastered reveals around all windows & opes Repairs to and replacement of sash & casement windows.
- Repairs to and replacement of selected timber doors and external shutters within the courtyard.
- Adjustment of existing new cast iron gutters and rainwater down pipes within courtyard.
- Lowering of ground level in courtyard